Tips and Tricks: What To Do with a Blue Lip Mix!
The idea of blue lips always sounds so ridiculous. Until you actually wear it and realize it looks pretty cool.
I’m demonstrating with Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetic’s Rx Lip Tar, which is a rich creme cobalt blue. It’s quite deep and strong in real life, but for some reason in white fluorescent light, it looks bright blue.
In 2 of the images, I applied Lime Crime’s deep indigo-blue glitter, Aquarius, over the Lip Tar. The glitter is darker than the gloss, so it created a deep metallic-looking effect. To see the intensity/depth of the final color, check out the low-light image above. (I apologize for the unfocused image; for some reason my camera doesn’t want to focus without light. I probably should have tried an indoor setting.)
If you’re taking photographs with it, remember 2 things will happen:
- In indoor light, the sharp contrast of the blue against your skin color is going to create a dark border right around the lip color.
- In flash, the blue is going to GLOW.
- Use a small concealer brush. There is no way you are getting this on using your fingers or directly from the tube. You will need plenty of precision because any streak, smear, or uneven lines is going to show up instantly.
- It’s best to apply a lip primer or clear liner first. This is because lip tars will rapidly bleed into fine lines around your lips (as you can see from the slight fuzziness on some of the images above).
- For an extra precise lip, pick up a little concealer on a small brush after you apply your blue lip, and then go around the border of your lips just to clean up and get an ultra-neat line.
- OCC Lip Tars AND MAC Lip Mixes will go on glossy, but eventually set to a matte finish. If you want to apply any glitter to it, do it quickly while it is still glossy, because once it sets it goes matte and it will no longer be as tacky.
Don’t over-apply when you’re using it as a lipmix! The color is extremely pigmented and can overtake the original lipstick you’re trying to adjust.
How much do you need?
This little. That’s ALL I used for each of the 3 lip color adjustment swatches above. One tube is probably going to last you for years if you’re only using it on yourself.