MAC Retro Matte Collection Haul (Lip Swatches and Super-Quick Review)
One part of my haul from Hong Kong was from the MAC Retro Matte limited edition collection. I’m a huge fan of Ruby Woo, so I was keen to try all the new retro-matte shades.
Texture: Not quite the original retro matte, but matte enough!
If you’ve never tried Ruby Woo, you should know that the Retro Matte texture is a super-matte finish that has zero shine compared to regular matte lipsticks. While I feel they have a slightly lighter-weight texture and are not as intense or matte as Ruby Woo, I still have to say if you don’t like a very-dry finish, you will NOT like these at all.
Shades: I bought 4 of the 6 new shades.
- Flat Out Fabulous: Really fabulous purple/magenta. Goes on very evenly; less matte/dry than the other shades.
- Relentlessly Red: Coral-pink-red all in one. Texture is matte but goes on evenly. Probably the best one if you like the retro-matte finish.
- Runway Hit: Peach-toned nude. A little more nude than Please Me, and warmer than Kinda Sexy. Flattering kittenish shade, but goes on slightly uneven, so if you have pigmented lips, this might not cover them nicely.
- Steady Going: Doll pink. Not as white as Saint Germain, and not as deep as Pink Nouveau. If Saint Germain is too pale for you, try this one. Texture is not as smooth as the darker shades, but it builds up nicely.
- (Didn’t buy) Dangerous: Bright orange-red slightly more orange than Lady Danger, which I own
- (Didn’t buy) Fixed on Drama*: Dark blackened-plum
Overall, I think the stronger shades go on more evenly than the 2 paler ones, but if you have smooth and pale lips, they would work great on you. The one shade I totally don’t recommend is the super-dark one, Fixed on Drama.
This was the first shade I grabbed to swatch at the store because I was imagining “Prince Noir” intensity, but it was by far the most disappointing. It went on patchy and no matter how much I tried to layer, it wouldn’t build up evenly. There are much better dark matte shades out there. Don’t waste your money on this!
Extra: Pro Longwear Lip Pencil in Shock Value
Gorgeous blue pink. I love Pro Longwear Lip Pencils because they really stay on well. And this shade is like a slightly toned down Candy Yum Yum in pencil form.
If you’re a fan of bright blue-based pinks, go grab this before it’s all gone.
P.S. I didn’t grab many of the liners to go with these lipsticks because they aren’t necessary. Retro Mattes don’t bleed so only buy the liners if you want to use them alone or with other lipsticks.