Shopping My Stash: I Rediscovered My Rainbow Lime Crime Arsenal!
Back when I just started my blog, there were a few brands I was obsessed over.
- Coastal Scents and BH Cosmetics (all those 88 palettes, 120 palettes and hundreds of pan shadows!)
- TKB Trading (pigments, pigments, glitters, pigments… and pigments…)
- Wet n Wild (back when they revamped their products and the Color Icon range was still big news)
- And of course, Lime Crime.
Lime Crime has always been about over the top cuteness and indulgent fantasy role-playing. It’s almost Japanese in its counter-culture aesthetic, and it’s extremely girly and fun.
The brand has had its share of controversies in the past, so before anyone asks I always advise people to steer completely clear of all that speculation and just decide very simply if you like the products and whether you think they are worth the price. Just like with any other brand.
In the end, it’s just makeup. If you can’t enjoy it, don’t spoil it for everybody else. If you want to take up a cause, go volunteer at the animal shelter. At least pick something more meaningful - and POSITIVE - to devote all your spare energy to.
BACK TO MY POINT.
I have sort of been neglecting my Lime Crime products in the past year or so. (There was a period of time I was sporting neon pink, bright orange and purple lips at work, much to the alarm of my then-boss. I only drew the line at green, blue and black in the office, which - if you’ve worked in a conservative environment, is really something. Most people won’t even wear red to work.)
Then I rediscovered my sizable stash while I was packing up to move to my new apartment.
Here are some of my all-time favorite products:
- Velvetines - Red Velvet is the best dramatic matte red in the world. And I don’t say this lightly. I like the convenience of Ruby Woo (I can remove it and touch it up easier) but Red Velvet is 10 points higher on the drama scale. They recently came out with Pink Velvet, which I haven’t tried yet!
- Alchemy palette - China Doll and Aquataenia seem to be more popular just gauging from the instant reactions most people have to seeing them for the first time, but let me tell you - Alchemy is the most dimensional and interesting in my opinion. Every shade is more than it appears, and if you have brown or hazel eyes, this is a WICKED palette to own.
- Coquette lipstick - my absolute favorite nude lipstick. Kittenish but not deathly. If you are about NC25, NW20 or fairer, you might want to check it out!
- Airborne Unicorn - best bright purple I own. And I do own quite a few. Perhaps the most surprising thing about this lipstick is that it’s actually very flattering. Don’t knock it til you try it!
- Cherry On Top and Candy Apple Carousel glosses - I won’t say the applicators are perfect. Everyone likes different types of brushes and wands, so it’s really personal. Also, let me tell you straight up these are high-maintenance, color-saturated glosses. You will need to spend some time applying them perfectly so you don’t become a hot mess. But the colors, OMG.
For those who are new to the brand, remember that they do international shipping for a very reasonable flat rate so I always recommend getting a bunch of girlfriends together for a big group spree to split the already low shipping cost.