Maybelline “Color Elixir” Lip Polishes: A Very Quick Review!
One surprise find from the drugstore! I hadn’t heard/read too much about these, so I was quite shocked to suddenly see these lip polishes on a display so soon in Singapore.
Nope. These are NOT the same Lip Polishes of Maybelline’s past. They bear the same name somewhat, but are a completely different product under the Color Sensational line.
Color Elixir Lip Polishes are supposed to be 3-in-1 glosses, lipsticks and balms. I’ll just say they ARE very lightweight and comfortable feeling (like balms) and have the sheen of glosses. Plus, there are some very nice colors. BUT - I don’t quite see how these have “hyper saturated” color and the pigmentation of lipsticks.
They look like it but aren’t the same thing as YSL and L’oreal Glossy Stains, though these use the same plush angora applicators as YSLs. They don’t set for one. And they don’t stain the lips.
Here’s a quick breakdown:
- Lightweight gel-like feel; stays glossy.
- Sheer pigmentation for many of the soft shades, and fuller pigmentation for the stronger ones, but in general these are more pigmented than most regular drugstore glosses.
- Completely non-sticky. In this, they DO feel like squeeze-tube lip balms.
- They layer quite well over lipsticks and liners.
- They are obviously very affordable.
- They are not long-lasting, which is understandable considering the light balm-like feel.
(My personal picks - out of the clutch of shades available here - are Glam 1 and Pop 5 above.)
They don’t hang around very long on the lips, but they’re a pleasure to reapply so I’m not complaining really! I definitely prefer these for “casual lips” and I’ll apply them over a nude lip liner just to extend their lasting power a bit.